We believe that our fantastic people are our strongest asset as an organisation, and on Wednesday 22 November we came together to celebrate the achievements of our staff with a lively and engaging Conference & Awards event – a jampacked day of recognition and shared learning.
As well as presenting accolades for outstanding achievement, the hybrid event was a celebration and showcase of Spectrum’s innovative work and patient-first service over the last year.
Welcoming hundreds of guests to Cedar Court Hotel in Huddersfield, and via a Zoom livestream, was Steve Wragg (Spectrum Chair) and Spectrum’s Chief Executive Dr Linda Harris OBE. After an update about Spectrum’s Integrated Business Plan (IBP 2025), there were three innovation showcases; staff from across services presented exciting ideas on improving patient care and/or staff experience, in a Dragons’ Den format. Morning attendees then cast their votes for one of these three projects to win the Roger Grasby Innovation Award:
- Upstream to Wellness: A Tool for Holistic Care Planning
- Creating a Nurse-Led Induction Hub at HMP Kirkham
- FibroScan: Improving Outcomes for Alcohol-Related Liver Disease
In an adjacent hall, over a dozen networking stands were set up to exhibit projects produced by different services and teams, facilitating great conversations – including HR & Recruitment, Spectrum Council, WYFI+ and Green Initiatives. Following lunch, Spectrum was joined by some key external partners and stakeholders to listen to four staff presentations on best practice. These included how to become a lived experience inclusive employer, the transformation of recruitment and retention in a secure setting, the fantastic work involving post-natal contraception in Wakefield, and leadership placements for students working at Spectrum. Each staff presenter gave impactful and inspiring talks, shining a light on their respective subjects and showcasing some outstanding hard work and knowledge.
The event culminated in the highly anticipated awards presentation. The final category, Chief Executive’s Award, did not have a shortlist; the winner was announced by Dr Linda on the day, receiving a standing ovation for their contribution to Spectrum and going above and beyond to exemplify organisational values. The 17 winners were:
- Clinical Rising Star – Suzie, Senior Nurse
- Non-Clinical Rising Star – Laura, Assistant Finance Manager
- Clinical Employee of the Year – Sarah, Pharmacist
- Non-Clinical Employee of the Year – Stephen, Informatics Manager
- Clinical Team of the Year – HMP Northumberland
- Non-Clinical Team of the Year – Spectrum People
- Transformation and Improvement – Faye, Head of Healthcare
- Patient Experience – WYFI+
- Leadership – Matt, Head of Healthcare
- Inclusivity Champion – Steph, LGBTQIA+ Wellbeing Practitioner
- Outreach and Engagement – David, Outreach Nurse
- Green Champion – Jane, Head of Service
- Unsung Hero – Ryan, Clinical Team Manager
- Roger Grasby Innovation Award – HMP Kirkham
- Helen Chidlow Award for Inspiring Learning – Amanda, Service Manager
- Karen Jordan Award for Outstanding Nurse of the Year – Debbie, Primary Care Manager
- Chief Executive’s Award – Chris, Chief Pharmacist
37 colleagues were also recognised with a long service award, for working at Spectrum 10 years or more. It was an emotional day, filled with inspiring achievements and acknowledgment – as well as a reminder of how far the organisation has come over the past twelve years.
Thank you to everyone who has supported Spectrum’s work over the past year and beyond, and to our guests, stakeholders and partners who joined us in person or watched online.
To find out more about any of the Spectrum projects showcased at our awards event, please email PR@spectrum-cic.nhs.uk.